November 27th, 2018 - January 10th, 2019
Dio Horia is pleased to announce the second solo exhibition in the gallery by American artist, Matthew Palladino that will take place at the historical Parnassos Literary Society. The opening of the exhibition took place on Tuesday, 27 November at 19:00 in the presence of the artist.
The exhibition is called “Ouroboros”, and features six new works. For this exhibition, Palladino continues his exploration into the medium of sculptural relief as contemporary painting. While inspired by ancient art and the themes and motivations that drove its creation, Palladino’s new work is firmly rooted in and influenced by the contemporary world and the image and objects that have left their mark on the collective conscious. The artist is inspired, despite lacking the ancient or classical inspiration in belief of gods or kings, to create a new set of idols for the current age. The new work employs in its production cutting edge technology, including 3D design and additive manufacturing to create and produce the structure of the reliefs. The three dimensional forms are then treated with a high level of craftsmanship and more traditional hand brushed painting methods to achieve an image/object that is a balanced hybrid of both old and new creative practices.
Matthew Palladino is an artist that lives and works in Brooklyn, New York. He was Born in San Francisco in 1985. He studied painting at the California College of the Arts. His work was acquired by the Whitney Museum of American Art. He has had solo exhibitions at Nanzuka (2017, Hong Kong), Retrospective Gallery (2015, New York) and Garth Greenan Gallery (2014, New York) among others. He has been reviewed in the New York Times, Art Forum, Juxtapoz and Dazed among others.
The Parnassos Literary Society was founded in 1865 in Athens and has published various magazines. The oldest literary society in mainland Greece, it continues to be active today. The Society was founded on 24 June 1865 by the four children of the numismatist Pavlos Lambros to contribute to the spiritual, social, and moral improvement of the Greek people through its events. The club quickly became well-known, and functioned as a sort of Academy with literary, archaeological, legal, artistic and even scientific sections. It organized lectures, exhibitions, and various competitions. In 1872, at the suggestion of S. Vassiliadis, it opened a night school for destitute children. The club is now housed in a private mansion on the St. George Square. The club has a valuable library and art gallery with 250 works by Greek artists.